Announced and detailed on the Stardew Valley website, developer Concerned Ape speaks in detail about the 1.4 update, which was released to PC a few days ago. It includes new features, expanded cutscenes, and a large variety of Quality of Life changes. Here's a spoiler-free list of changes.
- 60 new items. "Some fun, some practical, and some powerful."
- 292 new cosmetic options, such as hairstyles and shirts.
- New end-game quest line involving an abandoned building.
- New character events, including a 14-heart character event for every spouse.
- Fish Ponds: a new farm building for producing fish roe and various other items from fish.
- New "Four Corners" map option. It's segmented into four areas, intended for multiplayer worlds that don't share finances.
- Junimo Kart has been completely redone, looks much more enjoyable now.
- Sheds can be upgraded to double interior size.
- 2 new monsters and 2 new level designs for the mines.
- A new type of upgrade at the Blacksmith.
- A new emote menu for players.
- Social Tab now tracks the villagers' liked/disliked items.
- 14 new music tracks.
Currently, the 1.4 update is only available on PC (Windows, Mac, Linux). The update will be coming to console and mobile soon, but a defined date has not been announced.
Players will be able to use their old save files without issue. Mobile games, however, will not be able to load 1.4 save files into 1.3 mobile version and should consider this before doing a save transfer.
"Its always fun & exciting to share new content with you, and I really hope you have fun & enjoy discovering all the new stuff. As always, thanks for playing Stardew Valley!"