Nintendo announced the Super Mario Maker Ver. 2.0.0 update earlier today, detailing a variety of new features that will be added to the game. The update will be free for all players, releasing on December 5, 2019.
- Dash Block: Available in the Super Mario 3D World style, the Dash Block course part gives Mario a major speed burst when stepped on.
- Frozen Coin: These coins are surrounded by a block of ice and can only be released if melted by fireballs or other fire elements, including a certain angry sun.
- P Block: When a P Switch is hit in the course, invisible P Blocks temporarily turn into hard platforms, or vice-versa.
- Spike: This classic enemy coughs up massive spike balls and launches them at Mario. If used in the snow environment, Spike will toss snowballs instead!
- Pokey: The iconic stacked cactus from multiple Super Mario games joins Super Mario Maker 2 for the first time. Players can even edit the height of each Pokey.
Another new feature is Ninji Speedrun mode. In this, players will play a variety of Nintendo-designed levels with the goal of completing them as quickly as possible. At the same time, a swarm of Ninji will appear, mimicking the movements of other real-life players' attempts.
The most impressive part of the update, however, is the inclusion of the Master Sword. This special power-up is based on the heroic weapon from the Legend of Zelda. When Mario catches the item, he will transform into Link.
The transformation is more than just cosmetic. This power-up will grant Mario a handful of attacks that originate from the Zelda games, including a sword attack, arrows, bombs, and more.
The Master Sword power-up is only available on the NES era graphical option.
Super Mario Maker is available now for the Nintendo Switch.